Assistive Devices Program (ADP)
Any permanent resident of Ontario who has a valid health card issued in their name, and has a long-term physical disability requiring the use of an ocular prosthesis for six months or longer.
ADP does not pay for equipment available under Workplace Safety & Insurance Board or to Group “A” Veterans for their pensioned conditions.
All applicants must be examined by an ophthalmologist (a medical doctor who specializes in eye care), a general practitioner or an optometrist.
Your general practitioner or ophthalmologist will refer you to an ADP registered authorizer who is a certified ocularist or certified dispensing optician registered with the National Examining Board of Ocularists (NEBO) or NEBO.
Eligibility for ADP funding assistance is based on established policies. If you are determined eligible, the authorizer will complete the application form attached and submit it to ADP.
You are required to sign the application form. If you are unable to sign, someone who has the legal authority to act on your behalf may do so. This may be your spouse, parent, child, power of attorney, or public trustee.
It should take no more than six weeks from receipt of a properly completed form, for ADP to review your application. If ADP is unable to approve funding you will be notified directly by mail. If funding is approved, ADP will notify your vendor. They will then contact you directly to proceed with delivery of the prosthesis and follow-up.
ADP pays 75% of the ADP approved price to the registered vendor. You pay the remaining 25%.
If you are receiving social assistance benefits under Ontario Works (OW), Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) or Assistance to Children with Severe Disabilities (ACSD), ADP may pay 100 per cent of the ADP approved price.
Not necessarily. You must pay the vendor directly for any non ADP funding options you may chose to purchase for your prosthesis. Be sure to ask your vendor how much of the total cost you will be responsible for.
The vendor must provide in writing:
ADP does not pay for repairs and maintenance. You own the ocular prosthesis and are responsible for taking care of it.
If you need an ocular prosthesis but are not eligible for ADP, your insurance company may pay for it. If you do not have insurance, you may want to consider contacting agencies, such as the March of Dimes, War Amps Canada, Easter Seals Society, and community service groups.
ADP will only pay the amount approved after the date of approval. If you ask your vendor to order your prosthesis before ADP approves funding, you will be responsible for paying the full amount to the vendor if ADP cannot approve your application.
ADP may contribute to the cost of a new prosthesis if:
The amount of the contribution will vary depending on ADP funding you have previously received.
ADP does not pay for replacement if the original equipment is lost, stolen or damaged due to misuse. We encourage you to buy insurance to cover these situations.
Write or telephone:
Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care
Assistive Devices Program
5700 Yonge Street, 7th Floor
Toronto Ontario M2M 4K5
Telephone 416 327-8804
Toll Free 1 800 268-6021
TTY 416 327-4282
TTY Toll Free 1 800 387-5559
Fax 416 327-8192
visit our web-site at: www.health.gov.on.ca
4658-67E (2022/11) © King’s Printer for Ontario, 2022
Disponible en français